Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Are you on Satan's radar?

While watching an online sermon from this past Sunday (03/14) preached at First Baptist Orlando, I was struck by something the pastor said. The entire sermon was a blessing but this one thought pierced my heart more so than any other. Pastor David asked "Are you on the Devil's radar?"

Let me explain the context of his question. The sermon was about Paul and his ministry to the lost at Ephesus and Pastor David read the account of how God used Paul to perform many miracles in Jesus' name. Well there were quite a few pharisaical Jews in the area at that time that both observed these acts and wanted to capitalize on them. So these "itinerant Jewish exorcists" decided to start performing "miracles" in Jesus' name as well. The next thing we see happen in Acts is really quite amazing. See for yourself...

Acts 19:11-15
And God was doing extraordinary miracles by the hands of Paul, so that even handkerchiefs or aprons that had touched his skin were carried away to the sick, and their diseases left them and the evil spirits came out of them. Then some of the itinerant Jewish exorcists undertook to invoke the name of the Lord Jesus over those who had evil spirits, saying, "I adjure you by the Jesus whom Paul proclaims." Seven sons of a Jewish high priest named Sceva were doing this. But the evil spirit answered them, "Jesus I know, and Paul I recognize, but who are you?"


Do you see what happened there? While claiming to be of God, the Jewish exorcists were confronted by the devil himself with a very telling question. "Jesus I know, and Paul I recognize, but who are you?" This question led Pastor David to ask his Sunday morning's congregation which category they would fall under if confronted by the devil. Would they be recognized by the devil? Or would Satan ask "who are you?"

Your first thought may lead you to believe there is no better place to be than off of Satan's radar. I tend to have this mentality. "I'll just blend into the back of the classroom and count down the minutes until the end of class." But life can hardly be compared to class and skirting by with a C is not even close to what it means to live your life for anything or anyone other than Christ. If I am giving my all for the Lord then I am going to be on Satan's radar. If I love the Lord then I WANT to be on Satan's radar. I want to be the thorn in the devil's side. I desire to make his job of wooing the lost sheep as hard as possible. I love to think that little, ole' Leslie can absolutely disrupt Satan's day and cause him to shake his fists at the heavens.

So despite my tendency to want to simply get by and in spite of my own selfish acts and downright laziness, I am going to do my best to be a pain in the butt. I'm going to be a disciple of Christ and I'm going live for Him. And if and when I ever come face to face with an evil spirit or Satan himself, He'll know exactly who I am. He'll know whose side I'm on. And though I am feeble and weak, I serve the most-high God who is abundantly able to do miracles through me. My fear will not conquer my faith for my spirit of fear has been replaced with the Holy Spirit who will cause even the demons in hell cower. When God speaks, hell trembles. Of whom should I be afraid?

Yes, I most definitely am going to be on Satan's radar. And should I face trials and tribulations because of this, I will rely on the promises of the Almighty God to protect and preserve me. This is a declaration to both you, the reader, and to my Father in Heaven. And to Satan I simply say, "Bring it."

First Baptist Orlando

No comments: