Sunday, October 19, 2008

A big dream of a tiny house

Anyone that knows me, knows I long to live out West one day. I dream of owning land near the foot of the Rockies. The idea of getting lost on my own property in Wyoming, Montana, or Colorado gives me a thrill. Thoughts of sipping a cup of coffee on my front porch while looking into a vast field full of wheat...corn...cows...or something equally "ranchish" makes me smile. Looking forward to winter in the hopes of being snowed in for a few weeks is very real desire.

But I am here. I am in Greenville, SC. I live on a busy street and work in an even busier down town. I rarely spend time enjoying nature outside of the occasional hike or bon fire with friends. I dare not walk my property as I'd like because either the neighbors would wonder why I continually walk in circles or I'd cross the property line and quickly be squashed by a passing car. Glimpses into the local wildlife are limited to squirrels, chipmunks, and the all too often limp pile of fur found in the road (they shouldn't have crossed the property line.) I don't wish for a sprawling house with more rooms to clean and more taxes to pay. I do wish for an unobstructed view of the skyline and a clear view of the stars. Give me land and I will be happy. But please know it's not about wealth or impressive real estate. My big dreams don't require big houses. My happiness would be just as real in a 100 sq. ft.(Tumbleweed Tiny Houses)
home as it is in a 1000 sq. ft. home. Truthfully, it could be even more real in the former.

Most know of this deep desire of mine; to live and breathe all that is cowboy. All that is western. All that is outdoorsy. And in all seriousness I feel as if something is missing in my life the longer I stay where I am. Don't get me wrong. I love my home. I love my family. I love my life. But there is a want...no, a need for more that has always existed. My mind can't help but wonder how much longer I will put off the inevitable move Westward. My fear is the move will never come. But who is to blame for that other than myself? Has God placed this feeling of belonging in me? No doubt He has. For what reasons I do not know.

Perhaps I should start the process now rather than be content to continually talk about it. Perhaps it's time my body catches up with my soul. Yes; Perhaps it is time.

No comments: