Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Election 2008

So I know everyone has the same question on the brain these days. Who will get my vote come November 4, 2008? So far I know who WON'T get my vote and that is Obama. That's a no brainer. He stands for all that I am against and his beliefs, morals (or lack thereof), and political views are opposed to my own. So, no, I will not be voting for Obama.

Now comes the next obvious question. Will I be voting for McCain? Well, part of my brain says yes. Part of my brain says no. I like some of what McCain stands for but I greatly dislike some of what McCain stands for. Therein lies the problem.

So. Do I vote for a man that does not entirely stand for what I do and does not represent my views just to keep another man of whom I see as pure evil out of office? Or do find a candidate, no matter how much of a long shot, that stands for all I believe to be true and right based on my personal beliefs and log my vote for him?

This thought tumbles over and over in my little brain and I am perplexed. At least I was perplexed until today. When driving back to work I had an epiphany. There were no trumpets. There was no bright light from the Heavens. And no new information crossed my mind. I just saw a few things more clearly than I had before.

God is in complete control. Whomever is elected come November 4th will be because God has chosen him to serve as President of the United States. I will vote based on my convictions, as a believer and follower of Christ. I will vote based on my faith. I will vote based on the knowledge that I am in the hand of God Almighty and I must stay true to Him and no other. I am not bound to any party. I am not bound to any man-made rules of choosing the lesser of two evils. As a Christian, if my choice is between two evils, can I faithfully choose either one? Martin Luther didn't think so. Neither do I.

Again, none of this is NEW information. I know this. I've always known this. But for some reason today, the thought of bending my convictions for the sake of an election stopped me cold. The thought that I HAVE to vote for one in order to prevent the other from being elected pricked my heart. In my own arrogance I put God's sovereignty on the shelf and attempted to take control of this election's outcome.

Long story, short I know now that come election day I will vote according to my faith. I will vote as a Christian. I will vote based on my convictions. And I will walk away from the booth confident that God still has me in His hand.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I can't help but shake that since:
1) Shannon and I both have truly been dealing with these exact same questions each on our own to the point that it is causing us to hit our knees and ask God for guidance and 2) it seems virtually every Christian I know is feeling more and more strongly torn between these same ideas at the same time with us...
that perhaps the Lord is doing a work in all of our hearts? I'm also trying to discern to be aware that it's not the devil trying to fool me into something, but I'm somewhat at peace (only not at peace when I worry which is sin anyway) with voting for someone other than the 2 major parties (which means McCain because there's not an ounce of me that would dare ever think of Obama as a legit vote for me.

Anyway, I just think it's interesting. I don't know God's reasoning obviously in this. Perhaps it's as simple as making us remember to trust Him and let Him do the rest and for us to be as obedient as we can even in our vote. Or perhaps He is trying to move us solidly out of the picture to put Obama firmly in office in order to bring judgment on our nation. And, there are probably other reasons as well. Either way, I can't seem to shake the notion that God is working in our hearts...His people. And, for that I get a little excited. Trouble may be coming, but revival could also be around the corner too.

natesgirl99 said...

You know I agree completely. I've had the thought that by saying 'we have to keep Obama out of the WH!', we're really limiting what our God can do, you know? I'm so thankful we serve a sovereign God!

Les said...

I can't help but think God is testing His children as well. How strong is my faith? In everyday life without much challenge I trust Him fully. But when it comes down to an election as important as this one, do I freely believe. Or am I like Peter? Do I doubt? While listening to the radio yesterday a song lyric stuck out in my mind. "I'm just a whisper. You are the thunder." My vote, though important, is not nearly as powerful as the God I serve. I will trust in the thunder. Another lyric just popped into my brain. "Believe me now. Believe me here." God is asking me if I, in these uncertain times, can believe in Him? Will I trust Him fully? Do I have enough faith? I can. I will. I do.

Unknown said...

Well, I still think that we can be tested on our faith in God but at the same time we have the question and gray area as to what that involves. For instance, there are some folks that trust the Lord for absolutely everything...to the point of not going to the hospital when they're dying, etc. So, where is the dividing line between doing what is in our human power and trusting the Lord. They don't necessarily have to be one or the other, right? This is where my dilemma falls.

The thing I'm battling is whether I vote for McCain and pray that he has enough votes to keep Obama out as I don't think it's logical to believe that the numbers are there for a 3rd party to actually win in '08. Or do I vote for a 3rd party in order to make my point to the GOP that they are virtually as evil as the other side and have left their principles in order to appease the moderate voter? I'm trying to figure out what God's will is for this nation and party and how I fit into it. Either way it calls for faith in the Lord to accomplish something with my tiny vote.

Les said...

That's the question we're all asking I think. For me, it's going to come down to how I feel led the day I walk into that voting booth. With much prayer I will approach Nov. 4 and how God uses my vote, no matter for whom, will be in His mighty right. And my faith is strong that that His use of me will be far better than any possible use of myself.