Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Dinner in a box

I'm wondering if I should be discouraged or ashamed that tonight my dinner came from a box, about the size of a gospel tract written in an oversized font. As I was listening to my stomach growl I decided to see what my cupboards contained in the way of food. Not surprised, I didn't find much. But I did find a box of processed chicken and veggies, wrapped so air tight that (according to the box) it did not need to be refrigerated. And even though I know said box of food has been in my cabinet for over a year, I proceeded to nuke the heck out of it. I went ahead and pulled out a bottle of BBQ sauce just in case and I waited for the turntable to stop. It smelled OK so I figured it was safe to try. I'm now typing this post approx. 20 minutes after eating the entire meal without much distress. We'll see if my choice was a wise one in about an hour or two.

All of this to say, I find it somewhat concerning that here, at the ripe old age of 30, I am still living as if I am a poor college student without two nickels to rub together. Is it due to my refusal to plan ahead? To commit to any set path? To grow up? Or is it just one of those things that all folks go through and in time will pass for even me? I'm not sure. But even in the midst of my increasingly tight budget, I give thanks. Thanks that I had a mysterious box of food to heat up...some do not. And though I have my moments, I have to admit and give praise for my God has never failed me. No. Not once.

No comments: