Wednesday, September 10, 2008

My personal testimony

I stepped out on faith alone when I was only 5 years old. It sounds like such a big step for such a small person to make, but with the Lord leading my way, I was able to follow. My parents love the Lord and both made it a priority to rear my sister and myself to love and follow Christ. I thank God for them and for their direction both then and now. I vividly remember the day I answered God’s call to become His child. I was with my family and it was after our devotional time that I realized the Holy Spirit’s working in my heart. Being just a child, I did not know the right words to say but my prayer was that of complete humility and surrender. I knew no other way to pray. That is one of the beauties of having the faith of a child. I asked God to forgive me for being a sinner and I asked that He let Jesus come live in my heart. I gave over my life to Christ in that moment.

Of course, as I aged, I grew to believe my ways were best. I strayed from God’s leading and tried to forge my own path in this life. More than once I realized I was fighting a losing battle and asked for grace and mercy again. And each time I was given both. As I have reached adulthood, I have realized now more than ever, how important it is to let God direct my thoughts and actions. And I try to dedicate my footsteps daily.

My mind immediately draws on what I know to be a blessed life. I should not be amazed at how wonderfully the Lord weaves our lives together but I cannot help but stand in awe of His perfect plan. I am blessed. I have a wonderful family. I want for nothing. I have experienced love, both giving and receiving. And I know things “the angels long to look into.” Not only has God bestowed his mercy on me, by not giving me what I deserve, which is death. But He has also given me abundant grace, by giving me what I don’t deserve, and that is a wonderful earthly life, full of blessings, and most importantly, forgiveness and life everlasting.

Others say it better than I. But that is yet another worry I do not have to claim as my own. God knows my heart. He knows my struggles. He knows me, for I am His child. The life my Lord has given me is a testimony in and of itself. Once I was dead. Now I live.

“As for me, I will call upon God; and the Lord shall save me. Evening, and morning, and at noon, will I pray, and cry aloud: and He shall hear my voice.” Psalms 55:16-17

No comments: